History

A little background about Colbury Church
and the surrounding area.

1868 : Colbury School built by Frederick Ibbotson.

Colbury Church in 1905
Colbury Church in 1905
1870 : Christ Church, Colbury, built by Frederick Ibbotson, and consecrated on 8th March.
1872 : Colbury ecclesiastical parish created.

1874 : The Chapel for the workhouse is built by Annie Sturges Bourne.

Ashurst Hospital Chapel, photographed in 2009
Ashurst Hospital Chapel, photographed in 2009

1875 : The Post Office directory records a population of 750.

1891 : Kelly’s Directory records a population of 982.

1894 : The civil parish of Colbury is created.

1914 – 1918 : Eighteen Colbury men die in the First World War.

Indian troops camp along the Lyndhurst Road.

1930 : Colbury Memorial Hall is founded in memory of World War 1 dead.

1931 : Kelly’s Directory records a population of 1247.

1939-1945 : Eight Colbury men die in the Second World War.

1970 : Colbury Church Rooms are built.

1993 : Christ Church Colbury is renovated and the Lady Chapel is opened.

2015 : Extensions to the Church Rooms and installation of Colbury Church office.

Advertisements

Serving the Parish of Ashurst and Colbury in the New Forest

%d bloggers like this: